If you are repeatedly receiving "Detecting Scanner… / Scanner Disconnected" messages in the Matter and Form software, one potential reason may be that your Arduino driver is not correctly installed in Windows.
The scanner requires the Arduino board and the Logitech camera to be correctly installed and functioning in Windows. Without that, the scanner software will never connect!
Sometimes, the Arduino drivers fail to install or fail to install properly (meaning it's on your machine but the software can't find it) but identifying the problem and fixing it is easy. Here's how:
1. Open the start menu in Windows 7, or the command search in Windows 8, and type "compmgmt.msc". This will give you the option to open the Computer Management program. Open Computer Management. On the left hand side of the window, click Device Manager. You will see something like this:
You will see the entry for "Arduino Leonardo" under "Other devices". This is how it looks when the Arduino is not installed with the correct drivers (or any drivers for that matter).
2. Right-click on "Arduino Leonardo", choose Properties. In the window which appears, choose the Driver tab. Here's what you'll see:
3. Click on "Update Driver". In the window which appears (shown below), choose "Browse my computer for driver software".
4. Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
5. On the next screen, please click the "Next" button. You don't need to choose a hardware device.
6. On the next screen, please click the "Have Disk..." button.
7. Once you see the pop up, then click the "Browse" button.
8. "8. Navigate to the hard drive location where you installed MFStudio. The default location is "C:\Program Files\Matter and Form Inc\". In the Matter and Form Inc folder, open the Drivers folder, then the Arduino folder. So, for a default location install, you'd navigate to C:\Program Files\Matter and Form Inc\Drivers\Arduino. Choose arduino.inf, and press Open.
9. Click "OK"
10. Search through the list and choose "Ardunio Leonardo", then press "Next" button. You may get a warning "Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware....". If you see this warning, please ignore it and press "Yes" to continue.
11. You will see the following two screens.
First, "Installing driver software..."
Then, a window requesting permission to install the device software. Click the "Install" button.
12. Finally, the installer will report a successful install.
13. Click "Close" and you're back to the Device Manager screen, where you'll now see Arduino Leonardo (COMxx) under "Ports (COM & LPT)". Now the Arduino is installed and functional, and when you open the Matter and Form scanner software, it will connect.